A safe natural therapy to improve well-being and promote healing.
Reiki is a natural healing and relaxation method. Basically it is the laying on of hands and channeling of a ‘life-force energy’ through a practitioner to the recipient. The recipient can be oneself or another person, an animal, a plant or even an object. It can also be sent to an occasion or certain situation, such as a forthcoming test or exam, a social occasion etc.
Reiki originated in Japan and was re-discovered by Dr Mikao Usui. The teachings of Reiki were passed to Dr. Chujiro Hayashi who founded the first Reiki clinic in Tokyo in the early 1900s. Reiki was introduced into the Western world by Mrs Hawayo Takata who had attended the Hayashi clinic for treatments. After being healed for numerous health problems she went on to learn the teachings of Reiki and became a Reiki Master. Reiki is now practiced all over the world and is widely used in hospitals and clinics in many countries.
How Reiki Works
- Reiki is a healing method that is suitable for anyone. It doesn’t matter whether you are a complete beginner or whether you practice other self healing or improvement methods. What is required is a desire to learn and a willingness to do the practice. Reiki is effective when used on its own, but can be combined with any other form of healing methods. Reiki also works great as a preventative tool against possible future illnesses.
- We face problems when we do not have enough energy to carry out our life functions or when we, as energy systems, are out of balance. To enter the body the life force energy has to have channels or doorways, these are provided by Chakras, the energy centers of the body, with which we can receive the energy and spread it throughout the physical body and Aura, the subtle energy field around the body. If the Chakras are blocked or not working properly, the physical body, mind and spirit cannot function properly either. Life energy is the essential and most basic element of the human energy system. The effect of receiving a reiki treatment is that our supply of life energy is increased and our energy system is brought into balance. In this state of balance and renewed energy we can heal.
- A treatment is performed by the practitioner laying the hands on or above the body of the recipient and initiating the energy to flow through their hands. This flow of energy may be felt by the client as any type of sensation such as heat, cold or vibration. During a treatment it is essential to cover as many areas of the body as possible even if a problem is located in any one part of the body. The Reiki energy is automatically directed to where it is most necessary for the healing process. A Reiki treatment supports the whole person – physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
- A full treatment takes about 60 to 90 minutes. During a Reiki treatment both the recipient and practitioner benefit from the process. Reiki can be administered very simply in all kinds of settings for example at home, a clinic or hospital, a classroom or any place of trauma etc. The healing process is ongoing and doesn’t stop at the end of a treatment.
- When we practice Reiki we relax, which allows the brain impulses to slow down to between 7 and 14 cycles per second known as alpha level brain waves. or even between 4 and 7 cycles per second known as theta level brain waves. An average active brain during everyday life operates from 14 up to 21 cycles per second which is knwon as Beta level. It is very important that the brain slows down because when the brain operates in lower frequencies the body can heal itself more easily and more quickly.
- On the physical level Reiki can relax stressed muscles, decrease pain, accelerate the healing time of bones and wounds, burns and bruises and much more and can assist in the healing process of more severe illnesses. The right and the left hemisphere of the brain become more balanced. The immune system is reinforced.
- On a mental and emotional level anxiety and stress is reduced, a sense of well-being and happiness is increased and another level of relaxation is felt. On this level Reiki is ideal for releasing suppressed feelings and emotions from the past. At this degree of deep relaxation a rebalancing of energies can occur and the natural healing ability of the body is enhanced. The person becomes more intuitive, decisions are more easily made. Imagination and visualization are enhanced.
- On a spiritual level Reiki enhances a person’s consciousness and spirituality giving the feeling of being enlightened and reborn.
- How somebody responds to reiki depends on their physical, mental, spiritual and emotional state
How to become a Reiki Practitioner
To become a Reiki practitioner a person is attuned to Reiki during an attunement process as part of a Reiki seminar. The attunement process allows the person to reconnect with the ‘universal life force energy’ with which we were born. Once attuned a person can begin using this energy during self-treatments or treatments to others. Reiki is so simple to practice that a self-treatment takes only one hour a day to ensure a better quality of life, with good health.
Usui Reiki Sessions
An individual Usui Reiki session is 1½ hours.
(For healing purposes a set of treatments would normally be recommended.)